Page: 9 from 150
Conditions that require immediate action
Products can become damaged due to misuse or neglect. Some product damage is serious enough
that the product should not be used again until it has been inspected and, if necessary, repaired by
an authorized servicer.
As with any electronic device, pay close attention to the product when it is turned on. On very rare
occasions, you might notice an odor or see a puff of smoke or sparks vent from your product. Or you
might hear sounds like popping, cracking, or hissing. These conditions might merely mean that an
internal electronic component has failed in a safe and controlled manner. Or, they might indicate
a potential safety issue. However, do not take risks or attempt to diagnose the situation yourself.
Contact the Customer Support Center for further guidance. For a list of Service and Support phone
numbers, see the following Web site:
Frequently inspect your computer and its components for damage or wear or signs of danger.
If you have any question about the condition of a component, do not use the product. Contact
the Customer Support Center or the product manufacturer for instructions on how to inspect the
product and have it repaired, if necessary.
In the unlikely event that you notice any of the following conditions, or if you have any safety
concerns with your product, stop using the product and unplug it from the power source and
telecommunication lines until you can speak to the Customer Support Center for further guidance.
• Power cords, plugs, power adapters, extension cords, surge protectors, or power supplies that are
cracked, broken, or damaged.
• Signs of overheating, smoke, sparks, or fire.
• Damage to a battery (such as cracks, dents, or creases), discharge from a battery, or a buildup of foreign
substances on the battery.
• A cracking, hissing, or popping sound, or strong odor that comes from the product.
• Signs that liquid has been spilled or an object has fallen onto the computer product, the power cord, or
• The computer product, power cord, or power adapter has been exposed to water.
• The product has been dropped or damaged in any way.
• The product does not operate normally when you follow the operating instructions.
Note: If you notice these conditions with a product (such as an extension cord) that is not manufactured
for or by Lenovo
, stop using that product until you can contact the product manufacturer for further
instructions, or until you get a suitable replacement.
Service and upgrades
Do not attempt to service a product yourself unless instructed to do so by the Customer Support Center or
your documentation. Only use a Service Provider who is approved to repair your particular product.
Note: Some computer parts can be upgraded or replaced by the customer. Upgrades typically are
referred to as options. Replacement parts approved for customer installation are referred to as Customer
Replaceable Units, or CRUs. Lenovo provides documentation with instructions when it is appropriate for
customers to install options or replace CRUs. You must closely follow all instructions when installing or
replacing parts. The Off state of a power indicator does not necessarily mean that voltage levels inside a
product are zero. Before you remove the covers from a product equipped with a power cord, always make
© Copyright Lenovo 2017