Page: 43 from 68
Chapter 7. Preventing problems
An important part of owning a Lenovo notebook computer is maintenance. With proper care, you can
avoid common problems. The chapter provides information that can help you keep your computer running
General tips for preventing problems
This topic provides general tips for you to prevent problems when using your computer.
1. Check the capacity of your hard disk drive from time to time. If the hard disk drive gets full, the operating
system will slow down and might produce errors.
2. Empty your recycle bin on a regular basis.
3. To free up disk space, uninstall unused programs.
4. Clean out your Inbox, Sent, and Trash folders from your e-mail client program.
5. Back up your data at least once a week. If critical data is present, it is recommended that you perform a
daily backup operation. Lenovo has many backup options available for your computer. CD-RW drives
and CD-RW/DVD drives are available for most computers and can be installed easily.
6. Schedule system restore operations to take a system snapshot periodically.
Note: Always take a system snapshot before installing new drivers, updating software, or installing
7. Update device drivers and the BIOS program when needed.
8. Profile your machine at http://www.lenovo.com/support to keep up to date with current drivers and
9. Keep up to date for device drivers on other non-Lenovo hardware. You might want to read the device
driver information release notes before updating for compatibility or known issues.
10. Keep a log book. Entries might include major hardware or software changes, driver updates, minor
issues you have experienced, and how you resolved the minor issues.
11. If required, you can find your country's Customer Support Center at http://www.lenovo.com/support.
Note: When calling the Customer Support Center, ensure that you have your machine model type, serial
number, and the computer in front of you. Also, if the computer is producing error codes, it is helpful to
have the error screen on or the message written down.
12. If you want to get the latest software source for Microsoft Windows product updates, go to
http://www.microsoft.com. Lenovo provides technical assistance with installation of, or questions
related to, Service Packs for your Lenovo-preinstalled Windows products.
Taking care of your computer
Although your computer is designed to function reliably in normal work environments, you need to use
common sense in handling it. By following these important tips, you will get the most use and enjoyment
out of your computer.
Be careful about where and how you work
• Do not eat or smoke over your keyboard. Particles that fall into your keyboard can cause damage.
• Store packing materials safely out of the reach of children to prevent the risk of suffocation from plastic
© Copyright Lenovo 2016