Page: 39 from 68
Chapter 6. Replacing devices
This chapter provides instructions on how to replace devices for your computer.
This chapter contains the following items:
Static electricity prevention
Static electricity, although harmless to you, can seriously damage computer components and options.
Improper handling of static-sensitive parts can cause damage to the part. When you unpack an option
or CRU, do not open the static-protective package containing the part until the instructions direct you
to install the part.
When you handle options or CRUs, or perform any work inside the computer, take the following precautions
to avoid static-electricity damage:
• Limit your movement. Movement can cause static electricity to build up around you.
• Always handle components carefully. Handle adapters, memory modules, and other circuit boards by the
edges. Never touch exposed circuitry.
• Prevent others from touching components.
• When you install a static-sensitive option or CRU, touch the static-protective package containing the
part to a metal expansion-slot cover or other unpainted metal surface on the computer for at least two
seconds. This reduces static electricity from the package and your body.
• When possible, remove the static-sensitive part from the static-protective package and install the part
without setting it down. When this is not possible, place the static-protective package on a smooth,
level surface and place the part on the package.
• Do not place the part on the computer cover or other metal surface.
Replacing the optical drive / removable battery (on select models)
Before you start, print these instructions.
Note: The optical drive and the removable battery share the same compartment. They can be replaced
with each other for different purposes.
For models supplied with the spring-loaded latch on the back cover of the computer
To replace the optical drive/removable battery, do the following:
1. Turn off the computer and then disconnect the ac power adapter and all cables from the computer. Wait
three to five minutes to let the computer cool.
2. Close the computer display, and turn the computer over.
3. Push forward the spring-loaded latch and hold it in the unlocked position
4. Gently pull the optical drive/removable battery out
© Copyright Lenovo 2016