Page: 41 from 62
Chapter 7. Preventing problems
An important part of owning a Lenovo notebook computer is maintenance. With proper care, you can
avoid common problems. The chapter provides information that can help you keep your computer running
General tips for preventing problems
1. Check the capacity of your hard disk drive from time to time. If the hard disk drive gets too full, the
operating system will slow down and might produce errors.
2. Empty your recycle bin on a regular basis.
3. To free up disk space, uninstall unused application programs.
4. Clean out your Inbox, Sent, and Trash folders from your e-mail client program.
5. Back up your data at least once a week. If critical data is present, it is a good idea to perform a daily
backup operation. Lenovo has many backup options available for your computer. CD-RW drives and
CD-RW/DVD drives are available for most computers and are easily installed.
6. Schedule system restore operations to take a system snapshot periodically.
Note: Always take a system snapshot before installing new drivers, updating software, or installing
7. Update device drivers and BIOS when needed.
8. Profile your machine at http://www.lenovo.com/support to keep up to date with current drivers and
9. Keep up to date for device drivers on other non-Lenovo hardware. You might want to read the device
driver information release notes prior to updating for compatibility or known issues.
10. Keep a log book. Entries might include major hardware or software changes, driver updates, minor
issues you have experienced, and how you resolved the minor issues.
11. If required, you can find your country's Customer Support Center at http://www.lenovo.com/support.
When calling the Customer Support Center, make sure that you have your machine model type, serial
number, and the computer in front of you. Also, if the computer is producing error codes, it is helpful to
have the error screen on or the message written down.
If you need help, service, technical assistance, or just want more information about Lenovo products, you
will find a wide variety of sources available from Lenovo to assist you. This section contains information
about where to go for additional information about Lenovo and our products, what to do if you experience a
problem with your computer, and whom to call for service should it be necessary.
Information about your computer and preinstalled software, if any, is available in the documentation that
comes with your computer. That documentation includes printed books, online books, readme files, and
help files. In addition, information about Lenovo products is available on the World Wide Web.
Microsoft Service Packs are the latest software source for Windows product updates. They are available
through Web download (connection charges might apply) or through discs. For more specific information
and links, go to http://www.microsoft.com. Lenovo offers technical assistance with installation of, or
questions related to, Service Packs for your Lenovo-preloaded Microsoft Windows product. For information,
contact the Customer Support Center.
© Copyright Lenovo 2012