Page: 112 from 162
Using recovery media
You can use recovery media to restore the computer to the factory default settings only. You can use
recovery media to put the computer in an operational state after all other methods of recovery have failed.
Attention: When you use recovery media to restore the computer to the factory default settings, all the files
currently on the hard disk drive or solid-state drive will be deleted and replaced by the factory default settings.
To use recovery media, do the following:
1. Depending on the type of your recovery media, connect the boot medium (memory key or other USB
storage device) to the computer, or insert the boot disc into an external optical drive.
2. Repeatedly press and release the F12 key when turning on the computer. When the Boot Menu window
opens, release the F12 key.
3. Select the desired startup device and press Enter. The restore process begins.
4. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the operation.
1. After restoring your computer to the factory default settings, you might have to reinstall device drivers
for some devices. See “Reinstalling preinstalled applications and device drivers” on page 99.
2. Some computers come with Microsoft Office or Microsoft Works preinstalled. If you need to recover
or reinstall your Microsoft Office or Microsoft Works applications, you must use the Microsoft Office
CD or Microsoft Works CD. These discs are provided only with computers preinstalled with Microsoft
Office or Microsoft Works.
Performing backup and recovery operations
The Rescue and Recovery program enables you to back up all your hard disk drive or solid-state drive
contents including the operating system, data files, software programs, and personal settings. You can
designate where the Rescue and Recovery program stores the backup:
• In a protected area of your hard disk drive or solid-state drive
• On an attached external USB hard disk drive
• On a network drive
• On recordable discs (a recordable optical drive is required for this option)
After you have backed up the contents on the hard disk drive or solid-state drive, you can restore the
complete contents of the hard disk drive or solid-state drive, restore only the selected files, or restore only
the Windows operating system and applications.
Performing a backup operation
This section provides instructions on how to perform a backup operation using the Rescue and Recovery
1. From the Windows desktop, click Start ➙ All Programs ➙ Lenovo PC Experience ➙ Lenovo Tools ➙
Enhanced Backup and Restore. The Rescue and Recovery program opens.
2. In the Rescue and Recovery main window, click the Launch advanced Rescue and Recovery arrow.
3. Click Back up your hard drive and select backup operation options. Then, follow the instructions on
the screen to complete the backup operation.
Performing a recovery operation
This section provides instructions on how to perform a recovery operation using the Rescue and Recovery