Page: 57 from 102
1. Close any open programs and windows.
2. Depending on your Windows version, do one of the following:
• For Windows 7: Click the Start button to open the Start menu, and then click Computer.
• For Windows 8.1: Open File Explorer.
• For Windows 10: Click the Start button to open the Start menu, and then click File Explorer ➙
3. Right-click your C drive and then click Properties.
4. Click the Tools tab.
5. Depending on your Windows version, do one of the following:
• For Windows 7: Click Defragment now.
• For Windows 8.1 or Windows 10: Click Optimize. Select the desired drive, and then click Optimize.
6. Follow the instructions on the screen.
The printer does not work
• If you are using IEEE-approved printer signal cables, do the following:
1. Connect the printer signal cable firmly to the correct parallel, serial, or USB connector on the
2. Load the paper correctly.
3. Turn on the printer and keep the printer online.
• If you are using non-IEEE-approved printer signal cables, do the following:
1. Correctly install device drivers and software that come with the printer.
2. Assign the printer port correctly in your operating system, application program, or BIOS settings. For
more information about BIOS settings, see “Using the Setup Utility program” on page 29.
If the problem persists, run the tests described in the documentation that comes with your printer. If you
cannot correct the problem, have the computer serviced. See Chapter 10 “Getting information, help,
and service” on page 69.
Serial connector cannot be accessed
• Connect the serial cable to the serial connector on the computer and to the serial device. If the serial
device has its own power cord, attach the power cord to a grounded electrical outlet.
• Turn on the serial device and keep the device online.
• Install any application programs supplied with the serial device. Refer to the documentation that comes
with the serial device for more information.
• If you added one serial-connector adapter, install the adapter correctly.
This section provides solutions to software-related problems.
When using a sort feature, dates cannot be sorted in the correct order
Solution: Some programs developed before the year 2000 used only the last two digits of a year to sort
dates, assuming the first two digits were 19. Consequently, dates cannot be sorted in the correct order.